Follow Us:

 

2008 UNESCO Heritage Awards

Project Entries

 

 

 


Afghanistan



Herat Old City


The project is part of a wider initiative by the Aga Khan Trust for Culture initiated in early 2005 that includes documentation, pilot restoration of key historic buildings and infrastructure upgrades within the historic fabric of the old city of Herat. There are three complexes in the Bar Durrani and Abdullah Mesri quarters that make up this conservation project. They represent an example of an historic public building of religious significance, a residential complex that has been adaptively re-used and a traditional covered commercial space. The project has undertaken physical conservation as well as improvements in living conditions.

                                                            



Project Title

Herat Old City

Location

Old City, Herat, Afghanistan

Individuals Responsible

1) Arash Boostani, 2) Daud Sadiq, 3) Javad Khan Sadeq, 4) Abdul Qani Rahmani Wafa

Architect

1) Arash Boostani, 2) Daud Sadiq, 3) Javad Khan Sadeq, 4) Abdul Qani Rahmani Wafa






Australia


Eveleigh Carriage Workshops



The Eveleigh Carriage Workshops building was completed in 1888 and in use until 1989. From that time until 2004 it was used as storage space by the state rail and by film, theatre and performance companies as rehearsal and set building space. Conservation works included repairing the roof, brick and stone walls windows and doors. The cast and wrought iron roof columns and trusses were treated to prevent further rust. Since the building is no longer suitable for its original use, it has been transformed to house performance companies. The heritage values and significance of the place are further revealed in a series of interpretation panels located in the foyer and on the viewing platform located above the site.




   

Project Title

Eveleigh Carriage Workshops

Location

245 Wilson Street, Eveleigh, NSW 2015, Australia

Individuals Responsible

1) Tim Greer, 2) Julie Mackenzie, 3) Jeremy Hughes, 4) John Chesterman, 5) Trina Day, 6) Bettina Siegmund, 7) Amelia Holiday, 8) Vanessa Vorster, 9) Christian Williams

Architect

Tonkin Zulaikha Greer Architects Pty Ltd

Contractor

St Hilliers





National Pass



Located at Wentworth Falls in the Blue Mountains National Park, the National Pass is one of the most popular walking tracks in the World Heritage site with more than 50,000 people using it each year. The way in which the constructed and natural features are integrated into the dramatic landscape has high aesthetic values which have been recognized as significant at the state level. The primary goal of the project was to conserve and reopen the track in response to the expectations of the community and local tourism industry.


 

Project Title

National Pass

Location

National Pass Walking Track, Wentworth Falls, Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia

Individuals Responsible

1) Ben Correy, 2) Wildlife Service

Architect

1) Jim Smith, 2) Chris Betteridge, 3)  David Beaver, 4) Godden, Mackay Logan P/L, 5) Christo Aitken & Associates

Contractor

Colin Delap

 

 


 


Singapore Cottage


 

The Singapore Cottage is typical of the prefabricated buildings that were imported to Victoria from Singapore starting in 1839 to satisfy the great demand for housing and other buildings, especially during the Gold Rush period. The original building consists of four front rooms and the central passage which was constructed in 1853.  The conservation works included raising the building so that the floor level is above the footpath level, removing the modern render from the external wall surfaces, replacing or repairing rotted timbers and reinstating missing timber framing members.



 

Project Title

Singapore Cottage

Location

17 Coventry Place, South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Individuals Responsible

1) Roger Beeston, 2) Janet Beeston, 3) Anthony Hemingway, 4) Paul Cooksey, 5) Margaret Nichol

Architect

RBA Architects and Conservation Consultants with JAM Architects

Contractor

VCON

 

 



The Cooperage


The Cooperage is a listed early 20th century industrial building associated with the former distillery operations on the site of the CSR company, an institution of national significance. The overall aim of the project was to restore the building to provide commercial leasable space that is accessible, well-maintained and inviting. The adaptive reuse of the Cooperage activated the once derelict heritage industrial building into a thriving commercial community

                                                               

                                                              

Project Title

The Cooperage

Location

56 Bowman Street, Pyrmont, Sydney NSW, Australia

Individuals Responsible

1) Michael Williams, 2) Robert Denton, 3) Megan Jones, 4) Neil Corrigan, 5) Karen Urquhart

Architect

Tanner Architects

Contractor

SX Projects Pty Ltd

 

 



The Refinery 
 


Built in 1893, the Colonial Sugar Refinery Building stored and processed sugar cane brought from all over Queensland and New South Wales. Today, the heritage-listed building anchors the Cutter Landing redevelopment project. The historic warehouse has been transformed into a stylish 30-unit apartment building.



Project Title

The Refinery

Location

32 Refinery Parade, New Farm, Queensland, Austraria

Individuals Responsible

Chris Freeman


Architect

Mirvac Design

Contractor

Mirvac

 

 



Cambodia



Wat Phnom



The temple was built in 1372 and originally named Wat Phnom Daun Penh. Surrounding the temple are secondary temples, a museum and 30 other small stupas. Phnom Penh municipality has undertaken the maintenance and development of the temple, including painting and decorating the stupas, upgrading drainage systems and renovating an exhibition hall. Some more new park areas were developed near Wat Phnom, which is now not only a symbol of Phnom Penh municipality, but also a green place for the citizens.



Project Title

Wat Phnom

Location

Sangkat Wat Phnom, Khan Daun Penh, Phnom Penh,  Kingdom of Cambodia

Individuals Responsible

Municipality of Phnom Penh


Architect

APUR-Paris, France

Contractor

Department of Public Work and Transportation and Municipality of Phnom Penh

 

 




China


Fujian Earth Buildings



The Fujian earth buildings are a unique residential building complex typology originally built to house clans. Currently, they are largely lived in and used by their original inhabitants, albeit in crowded and dilapidated conditions.  The conservation project includes three building clusters and two buildings in Yongding and the two clusters and two buildings in Nanjing, involving a total of 35 buildings in 10 villages of five townships in two counties. The project has sought to restore the residential buildings using the traditional materials of earth, timber and stones, while upgrading them for modern occupation.




Project Title

Fujian Earth Buildings

Location

Yongding County, Fujian Province, P.R. China, 3641000/ Nanjing County, Fujian Province, P.R. China, 3641000

Individuals Responsible

1) Zhang Song, 2) Chen Zhonghou

Architect

1) Zhang Song, 2) Ruan Yisan, 3) Zhou Xuanxuan, 4) Li Yi, 5) Liu Kai, 6) Li Wei, 7) Dong Yi, 8) Yang Qingcong, 9) Miao Jie, 10) Yang Kai, 11) Shen Ying, 12) Sun Tian, 13) Cao Rui, 14) Zhan Wenhua, 15) Wang Huayang, 16) Zhang Mingyao, 17) Lai Xiaodong

Contractor

The Government  of Yongding County and the Government of Nanjing County




                                                               Minyag kegyap Temple


The Minyag tribe is known for its unique buildings, some of which date back around 800-1000 years. The four-storey Kegyap Temple was built in the 13th century and contains significant murals paintings. Prior to restoration, the temple was in danger from rot which threatened to bring about the collapse of the timber structure and the murals inside. The restoration project was undertaken to save the building from further damage.


Project Title

Minyag Kegyap Temple

Location

Shang Chujixi Village, Shade Township, Kangding County, Ganzi Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture, Sichuan Province, PR China, 610041

Individuals Responsible

1) Plateau Heritage Rescue & Consultation Association, 2) Tsering Dondrup

Architect

Minyak Choekyi Gyaltsan

Contractor

Minyak Choekyi Gyaltsan

 

 



People's Auditorium of Chongqing



The People’s Great Auditorium in Chongqing, which is listed as a provincial level heritage site, was built on a hilltop in 1951. The limitations of the original building such as small stage, poor sound quality and insufficient fire safety measures brought about the renovation of the interior of the auditorium. The renovation was completed in January 2003 with the aim of improving the acoustics, ventilation and safety conditions without destroying the original architectural style. It is now used as the venue for large conferences, movie award ceremonies and other public activities.


Project Title

People's Auditorium of Chongqing

Location

173 Renmin Road, Yuzhong District, Chongqing China, 400015, China

Individuals Responsible

1) Liang Ding-sen, 2) Shi Kun-lin, 3) Zhou Tie-jun, 4) Lin Tai-yong, 5) Xie De-an, 6) Li Hui-feng, 7) Bai Xue-lian, 8) Li Xin-yuan, 9) Chen Wen-qin, 10) Wang Jun-xiong, 11) Wei Ming-zhong, 12) Zhou Shi-zhen

Architect

Institute of Architectural Design and Research, Chongqing University

Contractor

Chongqing Gangqing Construction Decorative Engineering Co., Ltd



The Béthanie

The Béthanie was built in 1875 by the Missions Etrangeres de Paris and was used as a sanatorium for almost a century. In 2003 the Hong Kong Legislative Council approved funding for the restoration of the building. The renovation included reinstatement of the original pitched roof and interior upgrades. The Béthanie was reborn as the new home of the School of Film and Television of the Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts in 2006.




Project Title

The Béthanie

Location

139 Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong SAR, China

Individuals Responsible

1) Philip Soden, 2) Nelson Ho

Architect

1) Philip Liao, 2) Ms. Vanessa Leung, 3) Mr Dick Mak, 4) Mr Alan Chan, 5) Ms Fiona Ng, 6) Ms Carrie Wong, 7) Ms Eve Leung, 8) Ms Cherry Yu, 9) Ove Arup & Partners Ltd., 10) ADI Ltd, 11) H.A. Brechin & Co. Ltd

Contractor

Wan Chung Construction Co. Ltd.



The Old Bank



Dating back over 80 years, the Old Bank is the only Baroque style building left in Ji’nan and has great historical value for understanding the development of the city. In 2005, the street was widened which required the building to be moved towards the west by 15.3 meters. The attic and the second floor had to be reconstructed due to the severe damage. New reinforced foundations were added to ensure the solidness of the old structure. At present, the building has been adapted to function as a restaurant named “The Old Bank Culture Restaurant”.



     




Project Title

The Old Bank

Location

Weiliu Road, Ji'nan, 250000, Shandong province, China

Individuals Responsible

Liu Kui

Architect

Liu Kui

Contractor

Shandong Yijiang Architectural Design Co., Ltd



India


Archiepiscopal Palace



The Archiepiscopal Palace is a grand late-sixteenth century structure in use as the archbishop’s residence until 1695. The complex was abandoned and in structurally poor condition, with tilting external walls and structural cracks. The total restoration project spanned approximately eight years over four phases. The work included reinforcing the structural system underneath the chapel; replastering the piers; replacing the rotted wood and removing the false ceiling. Part of the complex is now occupied as the residence of the canons and chaplains, while the restored chapel has been opened to the public and the adjacent halls are used as a Christian Art Gallery.



Project Title

Archiepiscopal Palace

Location

Archiepiscopal Palace, Old Goa, adjacent to See Cathedral, India

Individuals Responsible

1) The Atch Dioceses of Goa and Daman, 2) Prof Newman Fernandes, 3)Vikas Dilawari, 4) Sterling Engineering Consultancy Services Pvt Ltd, 5) Mr. Ketak Nachinolkar, 6) Sylvester De Souza

Architect

Vikas Dilawari

Contractor

Arsenio & Associates




Craigie Burn Bungalow



Craigie Burn Bungalow is one of the large century-old bungalows serving as weekend houses in Matheran, a hill station very close to Mumbai. The English vernacular bungalow had been kept in a well-maintained condition until the 1980s but ill-informed repairs were carried out in the mid-1980s. In 2006-2007, a restoration project was undertaken for the building, which aimed to set standards of conservation in Matheran. The program included roof works, lime mortar works, carpentry works and changing the flooring, etc.  

     

                                           

Project Title

Craigie Burn Bungalow

Location

MH/RA/410102, Cobble Path Of F Ward, Matheran, India

Individuals Responsible

1) The Mody Family, 2) Vikas Dilawari, 3) Mr Abhijit Athalaye, 4) Mr Patrick Mascarenhas, 5) Mr Harish Sweat

Architect

Mr. Vikas Dilawari

Contractor

DI Construction



Jodhpur City Wall



The Jodphur city wall was extended in 1545 to surround the entire city, with a total length of over 9 kilometers. The wall structure and base was extensively damaged. Watertight and waterproof materials were used in to consolidate and strengthen the wall. The craftsmen and artisans were instructed to revive various traditional methods of construction. 


                                                      

Project Title

Jodhpur City Wall

Location

Jodhpur City Wall, Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India

Individuals Responsible

1) Department of Archaeology and Museums, Government of Rajasthan, 2) Intach Marwar Chapter, 3) Kulbhushan Jain

Architect

Kulbhushan Jain

Contractor

Intach Departmental Manpower on Labour Contract Basis


Nabha


 

Nabha occupies a unique historical space in the cultural fabric of Punjab, and was one of the few princely states to overtly defy the authority of the British Empire. Four sites within the area, which are Nabha Fort, Raja Hamir Singh Samadh, Raja Jaswant Singh Samadh and Duladhi Gate, have been conserved through a strategy that engages with the community and policy makers. The restoration works were undertaken from September 2005 until June 2007. They included the improvement of drainage and treatment of rainwater, conservation of roofing system, removal of the accretions and improving the terrace roof and intermediate floors. 

                           

 

Project Title

Nabha

Location

Nabha, District Patiala Punjab, India

Individuals Responsible

The Nabha Foundation


Architect

Cultural Resorce
Conservation Initiative

Contractor

The Lime Centre



Sangli High School Building



The 100-year old Gothic style school building is built in stone and brick. Features such as Queen Victoria plates, doors, exquisite heads used for down spouts and pivoted ventilator contribute to the architectural character of the building. Prior to restoration, the lime-plastered ceiling, flooring tiles and wooden windows were in poor condition. In order to continue its educational function, the school has been restored, with a focus on using long-lasting materials. 

                     

                 

Project Title

Sangli High School Building

Location

Near Amrai, College Road, Mahavir Nagar, Sangli, 416416, Maharashtra State, India

Individuals Responsible

1) Mr. Suresh Patil, 2) Mr. V.T. Chougule, 3) Mr. A.A. Dhole, 4) Mr. S.B. Chougule

Architect

1) Mr. Mukul Parikh, 2) Mr. Pramod Parikh

Contractor

Individual Sub-Contractors, Artisans & Conservators



Societe Progressiste School



One of the oldest schools in Pondicherry, the Societe Progressiste School was built in the local Franco-Tamil style. The school was founded in 1880 for Tamil students to learn French as they were not allowed in the French schools at that time and French was a working language in government offices. The Societe Progressiste School was renovated under the “Matching Grant Scheme” as part of the Asia Urbs Programme in Pondicherry. Today, the school continues its operations, with a focus on providing education especially to poor children.


                                    

Project Title

Societe Progressiste School

Location

12, Rue Calathisvaran Koil, Pondicherry-605001, India

Individuals Responsible

1) Ajit Koujalgi, 2) Shadish Velu, 3) Asaithambi G.

Architect

1) Ajit Koujalgi, 2) Shadish Velu

Contractor

1) Mr. V. Radhakrishnan, 2) Mr. V. Prabakaran



St. Paul's Church


Modeled after the Sainte-Chapelle in Paris, the 145-year-old St. Paul’s Church in Pune was built in the Gothic style. Large trees growing in the gutters at the apse and the belfry threatened the structural stability of the church. During the restoration, the stone masonry elements such as gargoyles, cornices and gutters was one of the main priorities. The first phase of restoration program was completed in March 2001 and the subsequent phases were taken up then.

                

Project Title

St. Paul's Church

Location

2 Church Road, Pune - 411001, Maharashtra State, India

Individuals Responsible

1) Rev. B.L. Sojwal, 2) Dr. Ashok Chakranarayan, 3) Mr B. Mallic Kumar, 4) Mr Walter Tresslor, 5) Mr D.D. Prabhakar, 6) Pradip Jadhavm, 7) P.D. Bhalerao, Lt. Col.(Retd). 8) Moses Sibloon, 9) Jason Charles

Architect

1) Kimaya, 2) N. Shashi Kanth

Contractor

V.V.Kelkar & Associates



TCS House



The TCS House, built in 1922 and remodeled in 1966, was originally known as the Ralli House. The house is a Grade II-A heritage structure. Key existing structural elements were either left untouched or temporarily strengthened. Interior and exterior frame reinforcement was introduced for additional bracing. The terrace floor slab, existing beams and columns were demolished. The internal space of the building was rearranged and it is now used as the global headquarters of a consultancy services company.             

      

                                 

Project Title

TCS House

Location

TATA Consultancy Services, TCS House, Raveline Street, Fort, Mumbai-1, Maharashtra, India

Individuals Responsible

1) Mrs Brinda Somaya, 2) Mr Homeyar Goiporia, 3) Mr Prashant Phatak, 4) Mr Kashinath karelkar, 5) Mr Abhijeet Patki

Architect

1) Mrs Brinda Somaya, 2) Mr Shashank Mehendale, 3) M/s Spectral Services Consultants Pvt. Ltd. 4) Ravi & Varsha Gavandi



Udaipur City Palace Complex



The city palace complex on the banks of Lake Pichola in Udaipur stands as a historical and architectural testimony to the reign of Maharana Amar Singh ll. With the change in socio-political environment, the use of the octagonal drum tower was discontinued and it stayed neglected for a long time. The tower was poorly maintained and suffered from material deterioration. The historic drum house has been transformed into a museum that maintains the spirit of place and fits in with the context of the historic complex.            


                                     

Project Title

Udaipur City Palace Complex

Location

The City Palace Complex, Udaipur, 313001 Rajasthan, India

Individuals Responsible

1) Shriji Arvind Singh Mewar, 2) Dr. Shikha Jain, 3) Dr. Ajay Khare, 4) Dr. Mayank Gupta, 5) Mr. B.S. Auwa, 6) Ar. Shweta Vardia, 7) Col. D.B. Acharaya, 8) Mr. Mohanlal Odh, 9) Mr. Kanwarlalji

Architect

1) Dr. Shikha Jain, 2) Dr. Ajay Khare, 3) Shweta Vardia, 4) Col. D.B. Archarya

Contractor

Mr. Mohan Lal Odh



Upadastra House


The Upadastra House, earlier known as Bennet House, dates back to the 1850s. The house became rundown and was converted into an automobile workshop and tenement.  After many decades without maintenance or repair, the building suffered extensive damage such as leaking roofs, sagging floors and peeling plaster. Given the proposed use of the building as a modern fashion store, the restoration team upgraded the structure with modern facilities such as air conditioning, elevators and handicapped accessibility. This project has set a good precedent for the commercially viable adaptive reuse of an old building in Mumbai. 


                                                 

Project Title

Upadastra House

Location

Muse,(Formerly know as Upadastra House), V.B.Gandhi Marg, Kala Ghoda, Fort, Mumbai Maharashtra, India

Individuals Responsible

1) Tarini Jindal, 2) Abha Narain Lambah, 3) Vijay Patil, 4)Simone Dubash, 5) Vikas Joshi

Architect

1) Abha Narain Lambah, 2) Kruti Garg, 3) Vijay Patil, 4) Simone Dubash, 5) Vikas Joshi

Contractor

M/s Savani Constructions



Vysial Street

              
                                                                           
The restoration of Vysial Street was undertaken as a “Model Street and Façade Restoration Project” through the Asia Urbs Program carried out in the Tamil Precinct of Pondicherry, which is characterized by unique Franco-Tamil architecture. This project included the restoration of the façades of 16 listed heritage buildings and re-designing 8 modern infill buildings to bring back the typical Tamil streetscape. The main objective was to at least preserve one of the very few Tamil streets and evoke pride in the owners and preserve a typical streetscape for all to see and admire.                                 

                       

Project Title

Vysial Street

Location

Calve Subraya Chetty Street (Vysial Street) Between Mahatma Gandhi Street and Cathedral Street, Pondicherry-605001, India

Individuals Responsible

1) Ajit Koujalgi, 2) Shadish Velu


Architect

Ajit Koujalgi

Contractor

1) Mr. Guedjabady, 2) Mr. R.K. Nataraj



Indonesia


Museum Bank Indonesia




Located in the district where Europeans lived in the 17th-18th century which was decreed a heritage area in 1973, the Bank Indonesia Kota Building is a mixture of European and Indonesian architecture and design. Built in 1911 and renovated in 1930s, the building had deteriorated over time. During restoration, the floor tiles, stained glass and doors were replaced, the wall and ceiling plaster was repaired and the ground floor corridor was reconstructed.  The 96-year old bank building has now been adapted to serve as a museum.

 

                                        

Project Title

Museum Bank Indonesia

Location

JL. Pintu Besar Utara Jakarta, Indonesia

Individuals Responsible

Mrs. Harti Haryani


Architect

Han Awal & Partners, PT

Contractor

Wijaya Kusuma Contractors, PT




Museum Bank Mandiri

                              

The Museum Bank Mandiri Building is a landmark colonial heritage building located inside a park near the train station of historic Jakarta Kota. Built in 1929, the building originally served as the District Office for the Nederlandsche Handel Maatschappij. The main objective of the conservation project started in 2003 was to return the museum back to its 1930s condition. It now houses a museum, offices and also a small mosque for museum visitors.          


                                                          

Project Title

Museum Bank Mandiri

Location

JI. Lapangan Stasiun No.1 Jakarta Barat 11110, Jakarta-Kota, Indonesia

Individuals Responsible

1) Mr. Heliantomo, 2) Mr. Firman Haris

Architect

1) PT. Nincec Multi Dimensi, 2) PT. Yodya Karya, 3) PT. Ciria Jasa Cipta Mandiri

Contractor

1) PT. Wahanayasa TE, 2) PT. Bahana Kencana, 3) Koperasi Persatuan Pensiunan BankExim



Pekalongan Batik Museum 

                                                                  

Located in the middle of Pekalongan City, the 102-year old building former City Hall building has witnessed the changes of generations of Indonesian, ethnic Arab, Chinese and Dutch residents.  After serving as the office of the Municipal Revenue Service, it has now been adapted as a museum introducing the traditional batik cloth of Indonesia. The interior was refurbished by restoring the ceilings, doors and floors with high-quality materials.        

                                                                                                       

Project Title

Pekalongan Batik Museum

Location

Jalan Jetayu No.1, Pekalongan City, Pekalongan 51111, Central Java, Indonesia

Individuals Responsible

1) Dr. H. Mohamad Basyir Ahmad, 2) Iman Sucipto Umar

Architect

1) MM. Soemarni, Ir. MM, 2) Ir. Luwi Bonar Arifin

Contractor

GAPENSI Kota Pekalongan



Sawahlunto Living Museum City

                           
                                                                                          
Sawahlunto was a coal mining city established under Dutch colonial rule in 1887 containing administrative offices, worker barracks, hospital and market. A number of old buildings are still functioning. The conservation project aimed to transform the city into a living museum to showcase the history and lifestyle of the coal mining workers and laborers.                                                      

                      
                                                                                               

Project Title

Sawahlunto Living Museum City

Location

The old town of Sawahlunto, Sawahlunto City, West Sumatera, Indonesia

Individuals Responsible

Rika Cherish


Contractor

Local in house project



Iran


Moshir Fatemi House


    
                                                            
Located in a historic quarter, the Moshir Fatemi house dates back about 110 years ago. The house, with a mixture of Qajar and Pahlavi architecture, contains many unique decorations. The conservation project team decided to change the building usage from residential to administrative, with the objective of bringing new life to the building and guaranteeing its future viability.


                                                            

Project Title

Moshir Fatemi House

Location

Moshir Fatemi Blind Alley, Moshir Fatem Alley, Allameh Majlesi Street, Qods Square, Isfahan, Iran-Postcode:8148897441

Individuals Responsible

Qolamreza Omrani-Mehrdad Kianfar-Mohammad Reza Manouchehri

Architect

Omran & Maskan Sazan Company Regional Center

Contractor

Omran & Maskan Sazan Company Regional Center




Samaeiyan House

                                                            
                                                                    
Samaeiyan house is located in the ancient city of Isfahan which has become a major tourism destination. It was rehabilitated as the first traditional hotel in the city. It now services a wide variety of local and international visitors, providing all the needed modern conveniences while still keeping its historic character and original layout.                                                                  

                 

                                                                                                                                  

Project Title

Samaeiyan House

Location

Beside Hakim mosque, Qalandarha Bazaar, Hakim street, Isfahan, Iran.-postcode: 147895119

Individuals Responsible

1) Omran & Maskan Sazan Company, 2) Sarzaminhaye Aria Hotels

Architect

Saman Tarhe Sepahan Company

Contractor

Sarzaminhaye Aria Hotels



Lao PDR


Ateliers de la Peninsule New Office


                                                         
The building was designed by Prince Souvanna Phouma and built in 1931. It is a rare example of Lao colonial architecture left in Vientiane as few colonial buildings remain standing because of deterioration with time and lack of maintenance. The building was leased out to  the previous tenant for 15 years without major renovation works or maintenance. The conservation works helped to preserve the house from further damage from roof leakages and termite attacks. The renovation eradicated the problem of humidity infiltrating the building as well. The building is now adapted to be the new office of Ateliers de la Peninsule.


                                                                      

Project Title

Ateliers de la Peninsule New Office

Location

No. 42 Phayasy Street Ban Sythan Neua, Unit 04 P.O. Box 9027, Vientiane, Lao PDR

Individuals Responsible

Mr. Francois Greck


Architect

Prince Souvanna Phouma




Malaysia


54 Muntri Street



                                                           
The shophouse at 54 Muntri Street was probably constructed around the late nineteen century with a mixture of European and Chinese influences. Most of the houses in the surrounding area have been left empty or illegally converted into warehouses. Only a handful of the houses retain their residential use. The main objective of the conservation project was to preserve and restore as much of the original fabric of the building as possible for use as a residential home, with the addition of modern amenities as required.


                                                                      

Project Title

54 Muntri Street

Location

54 Muntri Street, 10400 Georgetown, Penang, Malaysia

Architect

Au Tai Yeow

Contractor

Hockim Construction Sdn. Bhd.




Stadium Merdeka

                                                 
                                                                   
The Stadium of Independence in Kuala Lumpur, known as Merdeka Stadium, was built by the first Prime Minister of Malaya in 1957 to serve as the venue to declare independence from the British. The client’s vision was to restore the building to its original design as a symbol of Malaysia’s Independence. The building continues serve multi-functional uses as a venue for sports and public events.                                                        

                                                                                                                                                        

 

Project Title

Stadium Merdeka

Location

Stadium Merdeka, Jalan Stadium, 50150 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Individuals Responsible

1) Ahmad Sarji bin Abdul Hamid, 2) Laurence Loh, 3) Ibrahim bin Awang, 4) Tun Mutalib bin Tun Hassan, 5) Eliabeth Cardosa, 6) PNB Merdeka Ventures Sdn Bhd, 7) The Merdeka Heritagae Turst, 8) Badan Warisan Malaysia, 9) Permodalan Nasional Berhad

Architect

1) Badan Warisan Heritage Services Sdn Bhd, 2) Arkitek lla Sdn Bhd, 3) Nordin Kidam & Hadi Sdn Bhd, 4) Jurutera Budiman San Bhd, 5) Design Cost Consultants



Suffolk House

                                                                            

Suffolk House was first built in 1811 as a residence in the Anglo-Indian Georgian style.  It was rebuilt in a different configuration after it collapsed in 1826, before subsequently adapted into a school in 1926. During the restoration, archaeological excavation was carried out to determine the period configuration to which it should be restored. The restoration focused on adapting the spaces to be as flexible as possible, without loss of significance.  After the full restoration was completed in 2007, Suffolk House is presently used as an interpretation centre and a tourism destination.                 


                                      

Project Title

Suffolk House

Location

Suffolk House, off Ayer Itam Road, Penang, Malaysia

Individuals Responsible

1) The Penang State Government, 2) HSBC Bank, 3) Penang Heritage Trust, 4) Public Works Department, 5) Arkitek Lla

Architect

1) Laurence K. Y. Loh, 2) Gwynn Jenkins 3) Lin Lee Loh-Lim, 4) Taufiq b.Jaapar Barch; 5) Siaw Hooi keat, 6) The Kiang Wooi, 7) Cheah Syn Teong

Contractor

NAJCOM Sdn Bhd



New Zealand


Bach 38



Bach 38 was built in 1930 as the cottage for the caretakers on Rangitoto Island. However, over the past fifty years the bach fell into disrepair, with the water tank rusting, the roof leaking and the floor rotting. During the restoration, extensive repairs were undertaken to the roof, exterior and interior. The bach is now a museum and information center for the history of the baches and headquarters for the Rangitoto Island Historic Conservation Trust.


                                               

Project Title

Bach 38

Location

Rangitoto Island, Hauraki Gulf, Auckland, New Zealand

Individuals Responsible

1) Rangitoto Island Historic Conservation Trust, 2) Susan Yoffe, 3) Elizabeth Andrew, 4) Allan Godsall, 5) John White, 6) Peter Woolnough

Architect

1) Dave Pearson Architects Ltd., 2) Salmond Reed Architects




Fort Takapuna Barracks



Fort Takapuna served as a fort for nearly 60 years from 1885-1937. The exterior brickwork had been painted with acrylic paint, the shutter hinges had seized and were inoperable, and the roof leaked. Conservation work was carried out in 1999, including paint removal, shutter replacement, rust removal and roof repair. The installation of ramps and steps provide safe access for visitors during open days. Fort Takapuna is now used as an educational venue to interpret aspects of New Zealand’s history and to host community events.              

                            

Project Title

Fort Takapuna Barracks

Location

Fort Takapuna Histroric Rescue Vauxhall Road, Dcuonport, North Shore city, Auckland, Newzealand

Individuals Responsible

1) Jeremy Salmond, 2) Peter Reed, 3) Bruce Pety, 4) David Veart

Architect

Sakmond Reed Architects

Contractor

Aladino Products



Pakistan


Shigar Historic Settlements and Bazaar Area



Shigar Town is one of the oldest inhabited areas in the Northern Area of Pakistan, with the historical settlements of Khilingrong, Chinpa, Halpapa and the historic bazaar areas dating back over 400 years old. The rehabilitation project sought to revitalize its original character as a residential settlement. The project placed great emphasis on raising awareness and the communities have now recognized the great value of and significance of the local heritage, which is also seen as an important resource for development.

    

Project Title

Shigar Historic Settlements and Bazaar Area

Location

Near Fong Khar (Shigar Fort), Tehsil Shigar, District Skardu, Baltistan, Northern Areas, Paskistan

Individuals Responsible

1) Dr. Stefano Bianca, 2) Mr Masood Khan, 3) Mr Abbas Ali Shah, 4) Mr Ali Ahmad Shah, 5) Mr Ehsanul Karim, 6) Mr Amanik, 7) Mr Noor Ali, 8) Kacho Akbar, 9) Master Ibrahim, 10) Wazir Fida Ali, 11) Ikramullah, 12) Muhamma d Hassan Shigri

Architect

1) Aga Khan Trust for Culture, 2) Aga Khan Cultural Service

Contractor

Aga Khan Cultural Service




Singapore


UBS Wealth Management Campus (Command House)



The Command House was built in the Arts and Crafts style in 1938 as home to 15 commanders of the British Far East Army. It used to be occupied by Ong Teng Cheong, the President of Singapore from 1993 to 1998, and remained vacant upon his retirement. The exterior of the house has been well-maintained. The restoration works focused on the interior, such as compliance with current fire and handicapped accessibility codes and introduction of air conditioning. In order to serve its new education functions, the interior rooms have now been converted into seminar and conference rooms.



Project Title

UBS Wealth Management Campus (Command House)

Location

17 Kheam Hock Road, Singapore 298791, Republic of Singapore

Individuals Responsible

1) Ms Ho Sweet Woon, 2) Ms May Loh, 3) Mr Michael Teh, 4) Mr Lloyd Tan

Architect

Ms. Ho Sweet Woon

Contractor

Cathy Decoration & Construction Pte Ltd




Thailand


Amphawa Canal Community


Located in Samut Songkhram province by the Mae Klong river, Amphawa Canal Community has a long history as a water-based settlement dating back to the late Ayutthaya period. This old community consists of both wood and masonry shophouses and dwellings that were originally oriented toward market activities along the canal dating back over 60 to 120 years ago. The Amphawa conservation project is a pilot initiative to restore the houses with local community input as well as to revive the traditional water-based way of life.

                                                                    

Project Title

Amphawa Canal Community

Location

Amphawa canal community, Amphawa District Samut Songkhram Province, Thailand




Baan Dinso



Baan Dinso was built with golden teak wood in colonial style in 1922. It is composed of a front building and a rear building. The rear building suffered constant deterioration and lean greatly to one side. This hardwood building was dismantled and rebuilt with a new reinforced concrete foundation. Modern waste tanks and water treatment system have been installed as well. Baan Dinso was adapted to be a boutique hostel in 2007. 


                                              

Project Title

Baan Dinso

Location

113 Trok Sin, Dinso Rd., Borvornivate, Pranakorn, Bangkok 10200, Thailand

Individuals Responsible

Greenacts Co. Ltd.

Architect

Greenacts Co. Ltd

Contractor

Greenacts Co. Ltd



Baan Sila Suwan



Built in 1921, Baan Sila-Suwan is a wooden house with European style gingerbread ornamentation and hip roof which reflects the traditional lifestyle of the Tha Chalom community. Baan Sila-Suwan used to be a residential house with commercial function in front. The current owner has undertaken several restoration works, including raising the house by 1.8 meters after a heavy flood in 2002. The roof has also been repaired and the ground floor was modified. Currently, the upper floor has been adapted to be a museum and the ground floor is a display area of antique items.


                                                                                                   

Project Title

Baan Sila Suwan

Location

678 Taiwan Road, Tha-Chalom, Samuth-Sakorn, 74001, Thailand

Individuals Responsible

Khun Vena Sila-Suwan


Architect

1) Aran Jaraswimol, 2) Wasan Wongsawan



Kaomai Lanna Resort



When the tobacco curing barns in the Sanpatong district of Chiang Mai started to decline, the owner of the barns decided to retain and convert some of the structures for modern reuse. Two barns were first adapted to be private guestrooms, then 16 more barns were converted to form the resort in 2000. The original materials such as brick walls were treated to prevent decay and wood from old structures was reused to repair the windows and doors. The resort is operating under the principles of environmental and community sustainability.       


              

Project Title

Kaomai Lanna Resort

Location

1 Moo 6, Chiangmai-Hod Road, Banglang, Sanpatong, Chiangmai 50120

Individuals Responsible

Mr. Thawat Cherdsatirakul



Pratinang Kuhakaruehars



The Pratinang Kuhakaruehars is in Praynakorn cave located on a mountain slope in the Samroiyod Mountain National Park. The historic structure is a wooden pavilion with four faces decorated with Thai motifs. The building is a well-known attraction for Thai and foreign tourists.  However, due to natural decay, the province had the building restored in 1988.                      

               
                           

Project Title

Pratinang Kuhakaruehars

Location

Baan Bang Poo Village, Sanroiyod District, Prachuapkhikhan Province, Thailand



Wat Pongsanuk



The temple is an example of Mahayan Buddhist architecture from the Lanna kingdom and probably dates back more than 120 years. Excavations on-site revealed at least 3 layers of ancient foundations which may be over 300-500 years old. In 1947, the local community repaired the roof and basement and changed some elements after the site was severely damaged during World War II. They planned to rebuild the temple in 2004 in a modern style. However, they later agreed to retain and restore the historic structure. After restoration, the building is still used to make merit and also serves as an education center for the community. 

                                       

Project Title

Wat Pongsanuk

Individuals Responsible

Pongsanuk Community

Architect

1) Assistance Professor Woralun Boonyasurat, 2) Mr. Anukul Siripun

Contractor

Benjimin Suta



Wat Suwan Dararam


Wat Suwan Dararam was built in the late Ayutthaya period and its name means “the golden star temple”. There was no document about the original structure but it is presumed that the building was reconstructed in 1785 AD by royal order.  During the celebration of the 60th anniversary of Krung Sri Ayutthaya Bank, the bank and the Fine Arts Department undertook the restoration of the temple to honor the royal family. This project covered all structures in the monument excluding the vihara which had already been restored in 2000. During the restoration works, the same type of materials were used in order to preserve the temple’s original form.                                      

                                             

Project Title

Wat Suwan Dararam

Location

U-Tong Rd.Hor Ratanachai, Pra Nakorn Sri Ayutthaya 13000, Thailand

Individuals Responsible

Mr. Anek Sihamat


Contractor

Mr. Anek Sihamat