Follow Us:

2006 Awards Entries for Culture Heritage Conservation

China

China Merchants Steam Navigation Building on the Bund of Shanghai

Built in 1901, the China Merchants Steam Navigation Building is the oldest of the nationally-preserved heritage buildings on the Bund of Shanghai. This building, in the neo-classical style of the late Victorian era, is a three-storey office enclosing a total space of 1374 square meters. However, over the past 100 years and several changes of owner after 1949, the building was in bad condition when it was returned to the China Merchants group. In 2001, the China Merchants group initiated a conservation project to save the building.  After three year's hard work including architectural detail measurements, design and construction stages, it was converted into a modern office building.

 

Dong Daming Warehouse, Shanghai

Dong Daming Warehouse was built in 1925 as the warehouse of the biggest foreign dye firm in Shanghai at the time. The western industrial building is a witness of Shanghai’s modern history and the drastic changes in the area.  A conservation and design plan was prepared in September 2002 through private funding with government support and the building was transformed into a modern artistic personal studio upon completion of restoration work in September 2003.

 

Liu Ying Lung Study Hall, Hong Kong SAR

Liu Ying Lung Study Hall, which was built in 1838, has undergone major alterations in the early 20th century and in the 1960s. These major alterations were necessary for the building’s adaptive re-use as a hall for education purposes, which is one of the missions of the Liu clan in the New Territories. The renovation of the Study Hall is part of the programme of the 60-year Dajiao festival this year.

 

 

St.Andrew’s Church, Hong Kong SAR

St. Andrew's Church was designed by the Architects Leigh & Orange in the Victorian Gothic style and built in massive red brickwork. St. Andrew’s is the oldest Protestant church in Kowloon and with the exception of the period of Japanese occupation during World War II, the church has been in continuous use for Christian worship. The Church Council approved funding for the comprehensive refurbishment of the exterior, repairs to damaged and deteriorating panels of stained glass, structural repairs to the bell tower and restoration of the bell-ringing mechanism which had been in a state of disrepair since the 1980s. In addition, two new stained glass windows were installed to record and portray 100 years of worship and fellowship at St. Andrew's.

 

Tao Jiazhai, Shanghai

Tao Jiazhai is a set of private houses owned by the Tao family. Built in 1908, the village courtyard complex bears all the characteristics of the vernacular architecture of the South Yangtze River Delta region. Due to political changes in modern Shanghai, Pudong was transformed from farmland into an industrial zone.  Tao Jia Zhai has experienced several major changes of use and was left severely damaged.  In April 2004, the local government pushed forward a conservation project and adapted the building into a cultural venue for meetings and exhibitions.

 

 

 No. 2 Lane 690, Yongjia Road, Shanghai China
This four-storey mansion is located in a residential lane in the Lujiazui financial district.  Constructed 70 years ago, the building reflects the European architectural influence of that era.  Shanghai’s lane neighborhoods are facing great pressure from the modernization of the city, and this project was undertaken in order to raise awareness of the value of this valuable urban and architectural heritage.  Prior to restoration, the building was in poor condition, with problems from water logging, sagging of floors and fittings, and inappropriate use of new materials.  The restoration project has implemented protective reconstruction, reinforcement and interior construction in order to improve the interior layout, fire rating and structural stability, and modern function of the building, which now houses both offices and residences.

 


Bund 18, Shanghai China

The conservation project of Bund 18 required the developer and the architects to custom-design a new preservation method for restoring heritage buildings. Originally designed by British architects and built by Chinese craftsmen more than 80 years ago using local techniques and Western materials, the developer set up a multi-cultural team which included a team of experienced Italian architects to lead a group of international and local specialists. This two-year renovation project on Bund 18 included structural reinforcement, historic restoration, mechanical installation and interior design. The project began in March 2002 with an initial survey and analysis, followed by a detailed structural investigation and a historical "rilievo stratigrafico". The building was then secured and protected in preparation for the remaining reconstruction which was carried out between December 2003 and October 2004. The new Bund 18 now houses retail, dining, entertainment and art exhibition spaces.

 

The Rosary Church, Hong Kong SAR

The Rosary Church was built with donations from Dr. Anthony Gomes, a Portuguese Catholic in 1903. The design of the church was classic Gothic architecture with the original floor plan based on a Roman Basilica model. The church is designated by the Antiquities Advisory Board as a Grade 2 historic building reflecting its architectural importance and uniqueness. In 2003, in preparation for the centenary celebration, large scale renovation and improvement works as well as refurbishment of the multi-purpose hall were undertaken and completed by the Parish Council.