Follow Us:

 

Project Profile

 

2007 Award of Merit

The Bonython Hall

Horizontal Navigation Bar w/Rollover Effect

Jury Citation

The Bonython Hall serves as the great hall of the University of Adelaide. It was built between 1933 and 1936 by Sir John Langdon Bonython to meet the university’s need for an assembly hall. The Tudor Gothic hall is built in masonry similar to the medieval structure of great halls of early British universities. In 2005, conservation work was begun to improve comfort and safety for university staff, students and visitors, while carefully maintaining its cultural heritage significance, as embodied in the internal and external fabric of the building. The Bonython Hall was listed in the South Australian Heritage Register in 1980, underscoring its architectural, social, and educational heritage values.