Follow Us:

2009 Awards Entries for Culture Heritage Conservation

CHINA

 

Cao Shi Ancestral Hall, Foshan

The ancestral hall of the Cao family of Caobian Village in Foshan was built in the early Ming Dynasty on the typical courtyard plan, with several halls preceding the main prayer hall. Regularly repaired until the twentieth century, the building became a printing shop, a firecracker factory, and a livestock pen after 1949. The clan authorities of Caobian resolved to return the building to its traditional ancestor worship function, and have restored the very badly damaged structure, reusing as much of the original materials as possible.


Creative Shanghai, Shanghai

Built by the General Electric Corporation in 1921, the Shanghai Power Station Auxiliary Equipment Factory alongside the Huangpu River fell out of use during the 1990s. The old industrial complex was facing the threat of demolition, but has been rescued through its conversion to Creative Shanghai, a mixed-use rental complex for creative industries, dining, leisure and retail. The complex has been revitalized using 60 percent recycled materials from the site and an aesthetically sensitive approach to the conservation and augmentation of the existing structures.

Former Royal Air Force Officers' Mess, Hong Kong SAR

Built in 1935, the Mess was built for officers of the Royal Air Force stationed in Kai Tak. The colonial building features high ceilings, a deep verandah and scenic views, and is a Grade I listed structure. It has been renovated by the Hong Kong Baptist University, and now serves as the University’s Academy of Visual Arts, with twelve studios, a computer lab and exhibition space.

Heritage Buildings, Cicheng Historic Town, Cicheng, Zhejiang Province

The formerly walled town of Cicheng in southeastern China constitutes a major concentration of vernacular, aristocratic and religious architecture. Among the major buildings conserved are the Confucian Temple, the Considerate House charitable institution and the grand Feng Residence, mostly dating to the Ming and Qing Dynasties and featuring classical Chinese courtyards, halls, elaborately carved wood and stonework. Wood elements had deteriorated throughout most of the buildings, as had tile roofs. In certain cases modern additions were put in place, such as the glass roof over the courtyard of the Running Horse House, in order to convert the space into a restaurant.

Huai Hai Lu 796, Shanghai

The twin villas at 796 Huai Hai Lu (formerly the Avenue Joffre) were built by a local real estate tycoon during the Concession period. The first three-storey, Empire-style residence was completed in 1921, its adjacent twin in 1927. The two buildings are connected by a corridor and foyer. Between 1949 and 2007 the buildings served as government and private offices, during which time low-grade plaster was used in repairs and woodwork was painted over. These insensitive interventions have been carefully reversed, and the site converted into a luxury commercial space with retail and entertainment facilities. The garage to the rear of the villas was destroyed during the Cultural Revolution and the area has been completely reconfigured as a gallery and office space.

Loo Island in Peking University, Beijing

Chengfu Village is located with the historic Yuan Ming Yuan, the Old Summer Palace of the Qing Emperors burned and looted by British and French troops in 1860. The grounds of the Palace are now the campus of Peking University. Chengfu Village was inhabited mainly by caretakers of the garden and comprised several traditional courtyard houses, being encroached upon by the growth of the University. In order to save a particularly outstanding example, No. 9, the Architectural Department of Peking University relocated the structure to Loo Island, located within one of the three large decorative gardens that comprise the former Yuan Ming Yuan, returning a traditional residence to a traditional setting.

Sangzhutse Fortress, Shigatse, Tibet 

The Sangzhutse Fortress is the largest fortress in Tibet after the Potala Palace of Lhasa, for which it may have served as a model. It was built in the mid-fourteenth century, part of a sweeping campaign of fortification undertaken by Jiangqu Gyaincain (Changchub Gyaltsan) in his consolidation of Tibet following the Mongol domination. Over the years, the superstructure had decayed substantially and the terracing on which the fortress sits was under threat of collapse. The Fortress has been restored by the Department of Architecture of Tongji University as a folk-art museum.