Follow Us:

To spread the light of IT

Schoolchildren in Bhutan

14.01.2011

Some 500 teachers across Bhutan will spend about 10 days of their approaching winter vacation acquainting themselves with some aspects of computer applications.

As one of the steps to digitalise Bhutan that “clicked off” in April 2010, this first batch of 500 teachers will be trained in information and communication technology skills at the seven teacher training centres that opened recently.

The centres are at the colleges of education in Paro, Samtse, Damphu, Zhemgang, Mongar and Ranjung higher secondary and Samdrupjongkhar middle secondary schools.

“It’s to empower teachers with ICT skills, which could be used as a teaching tool,” Chiphen Rigphel project director Tandi Wangchuk said. “The training would teach teachers to use computers for correspondence, research, lesson planning and record keeping.”

A survey of some 4,000 teachers revealed that about 70 percent of them had no or very little computer experience, and the remaining 30 percent had some computer usage proficiency.

Read the full article at Kuensel Online: www.kuenselonline.com/2010/modules.php