UNESCO Regional Conference on Quality Assurance of Higher Education in Asia-Pacific, 15-16 June 2017, Shenzhen, People’s Republic of China
Quality assurance is the main source of mutual trust and is therefore essential to the mutual recognition of higher education qualifications among countries in the region. As UNESCO is advocating for the ratification and implementation of the 2011 Asia-Pacific Regional Convention on the Recognition of Qualifications in Higher Education (2011 Tokyo Convention), transparency measures such as the establishment of national information centers (NICs) and equivalency arrangements based on bilateral agreements can play important roles. Quality assurance-based recognition arrangements can ultimately help to make recognition much easier and pave the way for greater mobility of students across borders in the future. In this regard, effective quality assurance is important for building mutual trust and underpins confidence in qualifications in Asia-Pacific and worldwide.
It is against this background that UNESCO, as the only UN agency with a mandate in higher education, will organize the International Conference on Quality Assurance in Higher Education in Paris, France in early 2018. To prepare, regional conferences will help take stock of innovative quality assurance policies and practices, identify gaps and challenges, and explore common agendas for future collaboration. The Asia-Pacific Regional Conference on Quality Assurance in Higher Education is one of the regional preparatory conferences and will be expected to contribute to the 2018 International Conference on Quality Assurance with rich and diverse inputs from the region. The specific objectives of the regional stocktaking effort are below.
For more information, please refer to Concept Note.
The aim of the Asia-Pacific Regional Conference on Quality Assurance is to inform and shape the 2018 international conference on quality assurance in higher education organized by UNESCO. In particular, the aim is to map the current status, needs, innovative practices and challenges that are related to quality assurance in higher education in the Asia-Pacific region. In doing so, the conference will:
- Take stock of innovative policies and practices at system, institution, subject and programme levels in Asia-Pacific, with an aim to produce a consolidated regional report on quality assurance in higher education;
- Build understanding of the links between QA, NQF and recognition, including providing concrete support and capacity building for the ratification and implementation of the 2011 Tokyo Convention;
- Raise awareness about quality assurance of nontraditional modes of learning (e.g. MOOCs, blended learning, etc.)
- Connect multiple quality assurance initiatives in Asia-Pacific to promote synergies and cross-fertilization.
The following sub-themes for the conference focus on the dynamics of quality assurance in higher education in Asia-Pacific:
- New impetus for strengthening quality assurance in higher education
- External quality assurance mechanisms
- Internal quality assurance mechanisms and a culture of quality within HEIs
- Bridging the links between internal and the external quality assurance processes
- National qualifications frameworks and exploring connections with quality assurance, credential recognition, and students’ mobility
- Quality assurance of private higher education institutions
- Quality assurance of qualifications obtained through non-traditional modes (e.g. MOOCs and blended learning)
- International cooperation and regional harmonization efforts in Asia-Pacific
As a result of this intensive workshop, expected outputs include:
- A collection of 10 country case study reports on quality assurance in higher education from Asia-Pacific region
- Regional synthesis report to be submitted to the UNESCO 2018 International Conference on Quality Assurance in Higher Education in Paris
- Shenzhen statement on Quality Assurance in Higher education in Asia-Pacific region
Request to Attend
Given limited space and funding available (e.g. for hotel/meals only), registration is required. Please submit a request to join the event by 19 May 2017 via: Request to Attend (www.surveymonkey.com/r/YGNS5PV)
The meeting will be attended by government officials, QA practitioners and researchers from member states in the Asia-Pacific region, representatives from international and national professional bodies, international organizations and NGOs and other higher education stakeholders.
Organisers and Donors
The meeting will be jointly organized by the UNESCO Asia-Pacific Regional Bureau for Education in Bangkok, Thailand and the Section of Higher Education, UNESCO in Paris, in collaboration with the Chinese National Commission for UNESCO and the UNESCO International Centre for Higher Education Innovation (UNESCO-ICHEI) in Shenzhen, P. R. China.
Dates | Venue
15-16 June 2017 | Shenzhen, People’s Republic of China
- Dr. Libing Wang, Chief, Section for Educational Innovation and Skills Development (EISD), UNESCO Asia-Pacific Regional Bureau for Education; Email: email@example.com
Ms. Jihye Hwang, Programme Specialist in Higher Education, Section for Educational Innovation and Skills Development (EISD), UNESCO Asia-Pacific Regional Bureau for Education; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mr. Wesley Teter, Senior Consultant, Section for Educational Innovation and Skills Development (EISD), UNESCO Asia-Pacific Regional Bureau for Education; Email: email@example.com
- Concept Note [.pdf, 474kb]