Follow Us:

Philippines

Publications

 

Links:

 

Childhope Asia estimates that 1 to 3 per cent of the children and youth population living in the major cities are street children. Metro Manila and the National Capital Region have an estimated 50,000 children on the streets. Although 75 per cent of these children return home to their families, and many, after working or begging, are still able to go to school, the remaining 25 per cent live on the streets and do not go to school, having dropped out or never enrolled.

 

The Philippines, as a signatory of the World Conference on EFA implemented a ten-year EFA Plan of Action covering 1991 to 2000. Its assessment report however showed a lack of progress within the EFA decade. The EFA plan for 2004 to 2015 is now bringing in the secondary education level as an equal concern.  The Bureau of Non-Formal Education is also currently providing remedial instruction for working children through home study and in 1999 began the non-formal education accreditation and equivalency system to help children over the age of 15 to gain school certification. The Philippine government also supports distance learning programmes and mobile tent schools. In addition, the National Project on Street Children provides educational assistance to street children through a network of government, non-government, and community organizations. Regardless of this progress, two major challenges remain: formal and non-formal schools need to adjust their educational system to cater to children with irregular schedules and learning capacities, and facilities need to be closer to where disadvantaged children reside and work.